The different ways people say they “see” spirits or ghosts.
- Eyes closed, with a visualization of the spirit behind their eyelids, like a movie screen.
- Eyes are open, with a clear visual of spirit in front of them.
- Receiving impressions of or sensing spirits and what they look like.
When there is a spirit near me or around me that I can’t necessarily see right away, I get a tingling feeling in my left leg or behind my neck. A lot of people have signalling like that when something paranormal or supernatural is about to happen.
- The hair on the arms stands up
- Feeling of dread
- Cold sensations
- The tingling of the scalp, and other tells
Children are very adept at telling you just how they see ghosts and what they feel at the time. It’s very instant and pure for them. Adults appear a lot of times to have to process it, and rationalize what they think they are seeing and hearing. As adults, we need to try and take away the wall we have up in front of us and open ourselves up to the paranormal experience. It’s difficult but not impossible!
We’ve been contacted by some people in the last 5 months who ask us what we think might be going on in their house. They have listed a couple of noises and activities but nothing overly frightening or disturbing. I have made the suggestion that they should keep a journal of what is going on and that will tell them more information about what may be happening in their world.
Here is some pointers for journaling about paranormal:
- List a description of what activity occurred, i.e., “heard footsteps in the hallway at midnight” or “something whispering in the kitchen when I was alone”.
- Note the date, time and location of where the event or activity occurred in your house or wherever you happen to be.
- List what YOU were engaged in at the time the event/activity occurred like “watching the news on TV”, “playing video game”, “sleeping in bed”.
The reason for writing all of this down is that you can often pinpoint if there is a pattern and possibly determine why the spirit might be there. Some spirits will show up for reasons you would never think of. Let me give you some examples:
- One case we had this particular spirit only seemed to show up and make trouble when the woman of the house wasn’t making fried chicken.
- One spirit showed up for a certain TV show once a week.
- A spirit didn’t like this woman’s boyfriend and created havoc every time the boyfriend came over to visit.
Keeping a record of what happens makes it easier for you to relate to us or someone else, the circumstances surrounding your haunting and might give you clarity into if the activity is paranormal or not. You might gain some peace of mind and make a decision on what you want to do to move forward.
All of these myths and misconceptions are derived from trying to make ghost hunting reality shows dramatic and exciting, and Hollywood movies scary and terrifying. As long as you keep this in mind when you watch these shows and movies, and not think it’s reality, you won’t be as frightened when you hear something creak in your home.
It’s the unknown – what we can’t see, that is the most frightening to us.
“But it’s the living, not the dead
who can actually do us harm.”
Just remember that.